How to Find a Job as a Therapist in Toronto
You’re a talented, empathetic, and caring therapist who is ready to help people make positive changes in their lives.
But now, you’re asking yourself, “Where’s the right place to find a job as a therapist?”
We know that the job search process can feel overwhelming, so we’re here to make it easy for you to find a great job and start doing what you’re passionate about.
Here at KMA Therapy, we have a passionate team of therapists, social workers, and psychologists. We’re dedicated to helping our clients and therapists reach their full potential.
Our incredible recruiter Tre Reid has provided his top tips to help you find the best place for you to work and ace your interview.
By the end of this article, you’ll know what to look for when applying to therapist jobs, how to prepare for a therapist interview, and the next steps to finding a therapist job in Toronto.
What to Look for When Applying to Therapist Jobs
1. Research the practice
Intensely researching practices before you apply to them may feel time-consuming. But it’s more time-consuming to waste years in a role with a company you don’t really want to work for.
You can learn more about a therapy practice by:
- Learning more about their founder
- Exploring their website, including the Team page
- Reading about their goals and values as a practice
Ultimately, you want to find a job at a practice that aligns with your morals and values.
2. Explore target audiences
You know which clients you work with best.
If you’re passionate about working with children, you don’t want to apply to practices that only serve adults.
When looking for therapist jobs, understand which client demographics the practice serves.
3. Understand what services they offer
Are you an expert in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? Are you passionate about a Person-Centred approach?
Research what therapeutic services are offered by the practices you’re applying to. Would your services be a good fit?
If you don’t see your services listed, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t apply – your unique skills may be an asset during the interview process!
- What education do you need to work there?
- Do you hold the proper credentials to work there?
- What can you offer that their existing therapists don’t yet cover?
- Are your therapeutic approaches aligned with other therapists at the practice?
How to Prepare for a Job Interview as a Therapist
“Coming prepared with information about the company is important, but it’s even more important to come ready to have a conversation,” says Tre. “Recruiters can always tell when you’ve rehearsed too much.”
After your interview, the recruiter should know:
- Your authentic personality
- How you’ll connect with clients
- How you’ll fit into the team environment
- What unique supports you can offer to clients
- The unique qualities you can provide to their practice
Demonstrate your empathy, energy, and active listening skills throughout your interview.
Therapist Jobs at KMA Therapy
If your job search has led you to an interest in KMA Therapy, we would love to hear from you!
Here at KMA, our passionate team of therapists, social workers, and psychologists care about every aspect of the business.
We believe in maintaining a positive workplace experience while providing our clients with the best possible services. All of our mental health workers are supervised by a KMA-provided psychologist. You’ll always be learning and growing as you work with us.
Next Steps to Find a Therapist Job in Toronto
After reading this article, you now know what to look for when applying to therapist jobs, how to ace your therapist interview and places to look for therapist jobs in Toronto.
Here at KMA, we’ve spent the last 14 years matching our clients with their ideal therapists. Our introductory sessions ensure that the clients you’re matched with will be the best suited to your unique skills and therapeutic approach.
If you think you could be a great fit for KMA, visit our Careers page to learn more. You can also contact Tre Reid directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out these resources for further information:
- To learn more about therapist designations in Ontario, read: What's the Difference Between a Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Psychiatrist, and Social Worker?
- To learn about working for yourself, read: The Pros and Cons of Starting a Private Therapy Practice at Home
- To explore the KMA Team, check out: Meet the Team at KMA Therapy