Anxiety Therapy in Toronto
It’s normal to feel nervous about a big move, a first date or an upcoming test. Anxiety is a natural response to stress or something new. In healthy doses, anxiety can help us focus and feel motivated so we can complete the task in front of us.
An excessive amount of anxiety, on the other hand, does the opposite. It can leave us feeling paralyzed, disoriented, or panicked.
If your anxiety is getting in the way of your daily life, it may be time to consider getting anxiety therapy.
Some signs you have problems with anxiety are:
- You feel a sense of impending doom or panic all or most of the time
- You’re in constant fear of ridicule, loss, or illness
- You’re having difficulty concentrating
- You have constant headaches, muscle aches, or stomach aches
- You have trouble falling or staying asleep
- You may become short of breath regularly
Anxiety in Canada
Having feelings of panic and constant worry can feel very isolating, but you are not alone. About 1 in 20 adults in Canada experience an anxiety disorder and 60% of those also experience depression.
Only 40% of those who experience anxiety will get help. Without assistance, those who deal with anxiety often have a difficult time finding stability. It may feel as though your fears are getting more difficult to avoid and as a result you have more trouble participating in your day-to-day activities.
Can therapy help my anxiety?
Anxiety can feel all-encompassing, but there are things you can do to interrupt the cycles of worry and tension. KMA Therapy has helped thousands of clients since 2008. Our licensed Toronto therapists can help you get a handle on your anxiety, so you can get back to enjoying your life.
An anxiety therapist can help you:
- Manage stress with more ease
- Incorporate calm and relaxation into your life
- Recognize where your anxiety comes from, and what may be worsening it
- Build resilience and confidence
- Recognize and change negative thought patterns
- Slow down your racing thoughts
- Participate in and enjoy your life again
Having an anxiety therapist to talk through your worries can help you manage and reduce them.
Anxiety therapy in Toronto
There are lots of therapies specifically designed to help you manage your anxiety. They include:
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy
- Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Existential Therapy
- Mindfulness-Based Therapy
While they all take different approaches, all of these therapy styles help alleviate symptoms of anxiety. Many therapists will use a mix of styles specifically tailored to help you best.
During your introductory session, it’s useful to let your therapist know what you want out of therapy. Are you looking to explore why you have so much anxiety? Do you want to talk about your emotions in an open and nonjudgmental space? Do you want to hop right into solutions?
Whatever your need, therapy can help. If you don’t know what you want, that’s okay too! Your therapist can help you create goals and guide you through treatment so you can get back to feeling like yourself.
How does anxiety therapy at KMA work?
Anxiety therapy at KMA Therapy begins with a 50-minute introductory session with one of our intake counsellors.
In these 50 minutes, we will ask important questions to determine the severity and treatment approach needed for your anxiety:
- Do you remember when your anxiety began?
- How does anxiety show up in your life?
- What are your current coping mechanisms for anxiety?
- What would it look like to ‘feel okay’ again?
Here at KMA Therapy, we believe it’s important that we get to know you so that your anxiety therapist is the right fit. The consultation is also a wonderful time to address any questions you may have.
We will provide you with a customised ‘plan of action’. It includes the recommended anxiety therapist who is best equipped to help you, as well as any additional testing or psychological services we feel would be helpful.
To learn more about what you can expect during your first introductory session, check out this article.
Get started with anxiety therapy today
If you have questions about our costs, check out our pricing page.
Check out the article How to Find a Therapist for Anxiety in Toronto for more information about how to ensure your anxiety therapist is the right fit.