Stress Management Therapy in Toronto
Life is full of hassles, deadlines, frustrations, and demands. For many people, stress is so commonplace that it has become a way of life.
Getting enough sleep, practicing mindfulness, regularly exercising, and spending time with friends can alleviate symptoms of stress, but sometimes, these are not enough or may seem out of reach.
Although it may seem inescapable, there are ways to manage stress and introduce joy and recreation into your life. Through stress management therapy, you can learn coping mechanisms for stress, and decrease feelings of anxiety around work, relationships, or life events.
Signs you are experiencing high levels of stress
While in small doses, stress can help us perform under pressure and motivate us to do our best, in large doses it can be detrimental to our bodies, minds, and relationships. High levels of stress can show up as:
- Low motivation
- Trouble focusing
- Constant anger and frustration
- Changes in sleep and/or appetite
- Increased use of drugs or alcohol
- Physical ailments (stomachaches, backaches, headaches)
Stress can negatively affect our work, personal, romantic, and familial relationships. Elongated periods of stress have been linked to long-term health issues including diabetes, heart problems, and asthma.
How can therapy help with stress management?
If stress is taking over your life, a stress management therapist can help you take back control. Common types of therapy to manage stress include:
- Mindfulness-Based Therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy
- Person-Centered Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Stress management therapy can help you:
- Learn to relieve stress in the moment
- Find healthy ways to cope with stress
- Identify the sources of stress in your life
- Figure out how you can access joy again
- Break down large projects into practical tasks
- Reframe problems in a way that feels empowering
- Navigate events that cause you stress and anxiety
- Alleviate symptoms of stress (like anxiety and depression)
- Create a balanced schedule that incorporates relaxation into your life
- Set healthy boundaries at work and in your personal life to avoid future stress
With added support you can reimagine and reorganize your life in a way that leaves room for meaningful experiences, rest, and pleasure.
How does stress management therapy at KMA work?
Stress management therapy at KMA begins with a 50-minute introductory session with one of our intake counsellors.
In these 50 minutes, we will ask important questions to determine the severity and treatment approach needed for your stress:
- How does stress show up in your life?
- What would it look like to you to ‘feel okay’?
- Are there particular people, events, or environments when you feel the most stressed?
Here at KMA Therapy, we believe it’s important that we get to know you so that your stress management therapist is the right fit. The consultation is also a wonderful time to address any questions you may have.
We will provide you with a customised ‘plan of action’. It includes the recommended stress management therapist who is best equipped to help you, as well as any additional testing or psychological services we feel would be helpful.
Get started with stress management therapy today
KMA Therapy has five locations throughout Toronto and we offer online therapy, too. To learn about other issues we work with click here.
To learn more about stress management therapy, give us a call at 416 487 6288 fill out our registration form below to have our care coordinator reach out with more information. You can also book a session with us directly.
If you are having trouble finding the right therapist, check out the article How to Find a Therapist for Stress Management in Toronto.
Want to learn the difference between healthy and unhealthy stress? Read the article: Why Burnout is More Than Stress - and How to Fix It.
To explore ways you can use relaxation to relieve stress read 3 Ways Mindfulness Can Bust Your Stress Today.