Adoption Counselling in Toronto
Adoption allows you to permanently provide a loving home to youth who are no longer able to be cared for by their birth family.
But just as every child is unique, so is every adoption.
Adoptive parenting comes with its own set of challenges, in addition to the parenting challenges that arise with biological children.
Adoptive parents and adopted children may struggle with:
- Attachment and rejection
- Cross-cultural differences
- Adoption decision making
- Adoptee/adopter background
- Acceptance from friends and family
- Education about the process of adoption
- Fears, desires, and navigation through reunions
These issues can be difficult to navigate on your own - but our adoption counsellors are here to help you navigate your family through the next steps forward.
What issues does adoption counselling help with?
Adoption therapy can help identify and address the needs of adoptive parents, children who you may already have, adopted children, and their biological family members.
Goals of adoption counselling include:
- Developing adoption-sensitive, attachment-based parenting skills
- Working through difficulties of belonging, acceptance, and rejection
- Understanding how the core issues in adoption impact all family members
- Forming stronger bonds with family members (both adoptive or biological)
- Learning communication skills to talk to family and friends about adoption
- Learning how to express your emotions, thoughts, and beliefs about adoption
- Navigate the relationship with your child's biological parents or family members
- Understand and explore the complexities and responsibilities related to transracial adoption
- Understanding and deciding if domestic or international adoption, or reproductive technologies are right for you
- Getting support and guidance for complex issues such as adoption breakdown, special needs adoptions, and family rejection
The process of adoption can be complex and lonely without the right support system. An adoption therapist can help ease feelings of confusion, isolation, and anxiety.
What are the benefits of adoption therapy?
Speaking with a therapist can help you explore and meet the needs of all the members of your family.
Benefits of adoption counselling include:
- Improved lines of communication
- Fostering a space of belonging and acceptance
- Increased self-esteem and confidence in parents and children
- A deeper understanding of the adoption process, and whether it's the right choice for you
- Coping skills to navigate adoption-related traumas, including depression, anxiety, and loss
How does adoption counselling at KMA work?
Adoption therapy at KMA Therapy begins with a 50-minute introductory session, either individually or with family members, with one of our intake counsellors.
In these 50 minutes, your adoption therapist will dive deep to determine what kind of therapy services you need.
Here at KMA Therapy, we believe it’s important that we get to know you so that your adoption therapist is the right fit. The consultation is also a wonderful time to address any questions you may have.
We will provide you with a customized ‘plan of action’. It includes the recommended adoption therapist who is best equipped to help you, as well as any additional services we feel would be helpful.
Get started with adoption therapy in Toronto today
KMA Therapy has five locations throughout Toronto as well as online therapy. To learn more about adoption therapy, give us a call at 416 487 6288 or fill out our registration form below to have our care coordinator reach out with more information.
You can also book a session with us directly.
Read 3 Tips to Prepare for Your First Therapy Session to learn more about what to expect.
If you want to learn about other mental health concerns, visit our issues page.
Any major life changes - including ones that bring more love into your life - can be confusing and complex to deal with. You don’t have to navigate this process alone.